This has really been an interesting week... with H1N1 being at the forefront of the news, I am sure you have had coding issues come up surrounding it!
According to "Beckers Hospital Review"
The American Medical Association has expedited the publication of a new code specific to vaccine administration and revised existing code 90663 to include the H1N1 vaccine, according to an AMA news release.
The new codes will streamline the reporting and reimbursement procedure for physicians and healthcare providers administering the vaccinations and help to report and track immunization and counseling services related to the H1N1 vaccine throughout the healthcare system, according to the release.
Codes were created in consultation with the Department of Health and Human Services. Code 90470 was created to report H1N1 immunization administration and counseling. Code 90663 was revised by the CPT Editorial Panel to refer specifically to the H1N1 vaccine product. Both codes are effective immediately.
For reference, the two CPT codes are:
* 90470-H1N1 immunization administration (intramuscular, intranasal), including counseling when performed
* 90663-Influenza virus vaccine, pandemic formulation, H1N1
Your ICD-9 Driver should be codes
* 487.0 Influenza w/pneumonia
* 487.1 Influenza w/other respiratory manifestations
* 487.8 Influenza with other manifestations
* 488.0 Influenza due to identified avian influenza virus
* 488.1 Influenza due to identified novel H1N1 influenza virus
* V04.81 Influenza (Need for prophylactic vaccination/innoculation)
* V04.89 Other Viral Diseases (Need for prophylactic vaccination/innoculation)
Keep in mind too, that if you are giving additional vaccinations at the same time, you will need to review the criteria in your CPT books.
Stay Healthy and next week I'll post the Audit criteria for Medical Decision Making!